Hello Girl Bosses! Sometimes we lose track of what is really important to us and what we should really be grateful for. We forget over the years how fortunate some of us are and we still expect more and more. It is very detrimental to someones personal growth when we lose sight of what we should really be grateful for. It is even worse when that gratefulness is clouded by greed. Except in my life, I have taken for granted things that were right in front of me. Things I wish I spent more time appreciating and involving in my life. Today I want us to reflect on the good things and the good people we have in our lives. There is so much to be grateful for and reminding yourself of them can really help clarify a few things in your life. Remember that here is always something to be grateful for!
What are 10 things I am grateful for today?
- I am grateful for the family that I have. My family is caring and supportive, crazy and annoying but yet they are my amazing family that I love. I lose sight of how fortunate I am to have them. When there are people out there without a mother or father, without loving grandparents to spoil them and some without a family at all. I was blessed with having a strong and loving mother, 2 wonderful grandparents and 2 amazing great grandparents. On top of that I have 2 little siblings that mean the world to me. As well as a bunch of Aunts, Uncles and cousins to fill up a room on holidays.
2. I am grateful for the education that I have the privilege of receiving. I got to graduate high school and go to college. I had the privilege of going away to college and starting a new life where I can meet new friends and take interesting classes. Sometimes we forget that there are a lot of people who didn’t have the chance to graduate high school because they had to drop out to take care of their families. There are also people who have worked so hard in high school so that they can go to college, yet were unable to go because they couldn’t afford it. Don’t lose sight of how privileged we are to be able to receive an education and don’t forget to take advantage of that opportunity.
3. I am grateful for my health. There are people who face such tremendous challenges in their life for things they can not control. People get sick and die because they do not have the proper resources to take care of themselves. People also get sick with diseases and that Is an unbearable challenge anyone can face.
4. I am grateful for the house to clean. There are thousands of homeless people in the world. When we go on with our lives we don’t really think about how people are on the street trying to survive. We don’t think of the man who is sleeping on a dirty concrete floor when we are cuddled up in our own warm beds. We should be thankful for having a roof over our heads no matter how normal a thing like that seems to us. Sometimes I have to remind myself that I am so fortunate to have the house I have, and stop complaining when I am asked to do chores.
5. I am grateful for home cooked meals. There are also thousands of adults and children who are starving in the world. That getting to eat one nutritious meal is the best thing that could have happened to them in a really long time. So I am thankful that I have the opportunity to have a home cooked meal when I get home. That is also why I do all that I can to help feed the homeless and hungry. You can also try to help by either donating food to local charities or even volunteering at a soup kitchen.
6. I am grateful for the friends that I have. I find myself very privileged to have not one but 6 best friends that I love and care for very much. They have all been by my side in all the good and bad. Friends give a type of support that you can not get any where else. It is hard to find friends like this and that is why I am grateful.
7. I am grateful to have known not only my grandparent but my great grandparents. It is not often that a child gets to meet their great grandparents. I got to grow up with them in my life for 18 years. I was able to hear stories from the 1920’s and what it was like to grow up in NYC in the 1900’s. I got to hear a lot of history that is rooted in my family and I am forever grateful for that.
8. I am grateful for plenty of drinkable water. No one thinks about having clean and drinkable water because to them, to me, it is a normal thing to have. Except, in some places it is really hard to come by water that is good enough to drink. This is one of those little things in life that we don’t see as being privileged to have. When in fact we are so wrong because being able to stay hydrated and healthy is a very big privilege.
9. I am grateful for the clothes that are on my body. There are people who can not afford to keep buying new clothes. Children who get bullied because they do not have the newest and trending clothes. It shouldn’t matter what a person wears or doesn’t wear. If we are fortunate enough to afford new clothes we should be grateful that we have it. This is something we should not be greedy about and tear people down for.
10. I am grateful for my pets. I grew up with five different dogs and each one of them I gave a piece of my heart to. It is so special to have a pet that you can create a bond with and love forever. A pet is a a life long best friend and if you were fortunate enough to have one in your life you should be very grateful.